July Challenge, Day 1 – Simple Stuff

Today I put the kids’ cereal away after putting some in their bowls rather than letting it sit out.

That sounds dumb to say, but it’s a big start for me.  Because, of course, when it sits out my hand accidentally falls in, pulls handfuls out, and shovels it into my mouth.  Amazingly enough, when I put it away right afterward, I didn’t snack on the cereal.

Simple stuff is what I’m focusing on today.

I measured things that went into my breakfast.  The egg beaters.  The parmesan cheese.  The broccoli.  Okay, not the broccoli…nobody ever got fat from eating too much of that.  But everything else is getting measured starting now.

I’ll also be starting to write down what I eat (don’t worry, I don’t plan to bore you with a detailed record here, LOL), but I won’t be writing down the Weight Watchers points yet since I’m not ready for that level of detail.  Just like with working out, you have to start with what you can handle.

Today it’s the simple stuff.

All this month I’ll be working to get my eating back under control – will you join me?

14 comments for “July Challenge, Day 1 – Simple Stuff

1. July 1, 2011 at 8:35 am

Hi there – I’ve lurked for a while but haven’t ever commented. I’m wondering why you go for Eggbeaters instead of eggs?

• July 1, 2011 at 10:22 am

Also, sorry for sounding like a jerk asking a question instead of answering yours!

This year I joined a CSA after taking a year off, and my challenge this summer is to use up the veggies each week. So far it has been going well – and the kids are eating better, too. Zucchini muffins & kale smoothies are a bigger hit than I could have dreamed.

• July 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

At first it was because they’re fewer calories, now it’s also because I prefer the flavor. Real eggs kind of gross me out for some reason. LOL

2. Amie
    July 1, 2011 at 8:41 am

Today, I got up early and started Day 1 of Ripped in 30. It was the first time in a couple months I’d been able to get myself out of bed for a weekday morning workout. I also entered all my breakfast food into my online tracker. I hope I can stick to it!

3. kendra
    July 1, 2011 at 9:23 am

This morning I watered the flowers, did a load of dishes, and completed day 12 of my 30 day shred – almost half way!! This is only my second day of level 2 and the cardio portion gets me huffing. I’ve noticed a difference in my arms and abs but would love to see more! I also have been keeping track of what I eat and it definitely has kept me more conscious about not “snacking”. I went two days without writing down what I wrote and gained a pound – so back to logging in I go. Good luck!

4. Joules
    July 1, 2011 at 9:25 am

Hey, it’s the little battles that win the war. For me it’s having my husband cook breakfast, this way I don’t snack on any of the ingredients. I also started not checking my kids’ plates after dinner. What ever they have left behind must have been left behind for a good reason, not so I could eat it for them.

5. July 1, 2011 at 10:34 am

I’m a big fan of the food journal. Measuring everything and writing it down helps me like nothing else! My goals are to get back to my MORNING workouts (instead of putting exercise off ’til later), and to sit down for meals and snacks and eat with more awareness.

6. elsewise
    July 1, 2011 at 10:40 am

I stepped on the scale for the first time in months. I knew it wouldn’t be pretty, and I knew it would upset me, but I needed to stop being afraid to face it. Instead of feeling defeated by that number, I actually feel stronger – like I’m back in control instead of pretending that there’s nothing to face la la la it’s all good.

I have 14 lbs to lose to make the weight I put on my passport true (and to fit into my pants). It’s definitely not a day for sweeping changes and grand plans, but it’s a place to start.

• July 1, 2011 at 10:42 am

Yeah, facing that number is a big step, and I did it too. Now, the key is to maintaining that control, and I sure hope I can do it this time. Updating frequently this month is going to help me for sure.

7. July 1, 2011 at 10:55 am

I do the SAME thing with the kids cereal. Glad you are sharing too. I’m gonna kick your butt if I don’t see a few posts a week from you, lol!

8. July 2, 2011 at 2:57 pm

A kitchen food scale was one of the best investments I’ve ever made. Mine is an OXO and has a zero out feature.

9. Teresa
    July 5, 2011 at 10:01 am

I think putting the food away is great. I need to make my dinner plate and leave the rest in the kitchen. It will help me to not get just a little bit more!

10. Ashlye
    July 6, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Day 1 of 30 day shred. This time I have a small goal, make it to level 2 which would mean at least 5 days. Small goals are ok, right?

• July 7, 2011 at 8:17 am

Small goals are perfect! :)