July Challenge – Fix My Eating

My eating plan, in a nutshell

Wow, it’s been more than a month since I’ve posted anything, and it’s really been terrible for me.  I’ve been working out religiously, but my eating has gotten worse and worse.  Which is pretty silly since my last post was about how great it was going.

You guys must be getting sick of this kind of thing, my talking about getting back to eating right.  And it’s really embarrassing for me to not be able to get my eating under control.  I’ll have a good day, then 2 bad days.  Lately it’s more like a good morning, then 5 bad days.

It needs to change.

I’m not exactly sure how I’m going to do that, unfortunately.  I know what I need to do.  I know all the tricks.  Water.  Brush your teeth right after a meal.  Fruits and vegetables.  Write things down.  But for those to work, you have to get in the right frame of mind, and I’m struggling.

I don’t know what’s going on with me…maybe I’m pitying myself because I can’t run right now, maybe there’s some self-loathing or whatever, but honestly, I think the majority of my problem is that sweets just taste too good.  Of course, once it gets bad, THEN I get ashamed of myself and eat to feel better.

Stupid brain.

So this month is my personal challenge to fix my eating, and I’d love for anyone else to come along with me.  I’m going to be honest about what I’m eating – the good and the bad.  Hopefully mostly good, but I’ll admit to the bad too.  And hopefully by the end of the month I’ll be back where I want to be.

We’ll see.

13 comments for “July Challenge – Fix My Eating

1. June 30, 2011 at 2:55 pm

I TOTALLY AM RIGHT THERE WITH YOU!

It’s scary, as I was reading your post it was like I could’ve written it. I feel exactly the same way lately. I love working out, and it’s not hard for me to get a workout in, but when it comes to eating right, it’s out the window for me.

So you’re not alone. :)

2. elsewise
    June 30, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I am right there with you, Bill, on all counts – I just found out that I have another 8-12 months to wait until my hip surgery, so I’m struggling to balance my will to work out harder (to justify the self-pity candy) with my need to back off and just eat better. Last time around, I enjoyed tracking my food and learning all about nutrition and calories and how different quantities of protein or whatever affected me physically. Now it all feels like a slog, ’cause I know what I have to do and I just don’t want to.

I started by buying a new set of kitchen dishes last weekend – we’re now using salad plates for dinner, appetizer plates for breakfast, and smaller bowls for everything else. I know that it’s going to take different tricks to get me going this time.

Solidarity, friend. We can do this.

• elsewise
      June 30, 2011 at 3:29 pm

…it bears noting that I ate two caramel-filled chocolates within 20 minutes of posting that.

3. June 30, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I keep paying for WW and not going. Or tracking. Or actually doing it. My weight hasn’t budged but I think if I were even a tiny bit accountable, I’d lose weight. First I’ll have to finish that gelato in the freezer though (which can be done by tomorrow… or the next 20 minutes). I feel like I make a TON of good choices but the bad choices are bad enough to get me no where. So frustrating, esp when you know what you should be doing and just aren’t.

4. Amie
    June 30, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Bill, Thank you for the post. I am so totally with you. I’ve been trying to get in shape for my upcoming wedding since February. In that time I’ve regularly done yoga, pilates, workout videos, synchronized swimming team practice, as well as trained for and ran 4 road races, 1 sprint triathlon and a one mile pond swim race. Through all that I have lost exactly zero lbs. I’m not a terrible eater but have never been able to dial in my nutrition to show meaningful results in my body. I’ve almost given up. It’s good to hear about others going through the same thing.

5. Liz
    June 30, 2011 at 6:56 pm

Thank you so much for this post! I completely understand how frustrating it can feel to not seem to be able to control your eating. I always feel alone with my struggle with trying to get in shape, so it’s nice to see someone I can relate to.

Thanks so much and good luck!

6. Tamar
    June 30, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Hi Bill, I think it’s great that you wrote this post and you’re aware of the issues you are having. I believe Jillian said recently, “you can eat your way out of any workout”, and it’s so true. I have recommended this book to you and others on Twitter and I’ll say it again. Eat to Live by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. I am not exaggerating when I say this book changed my life (and my kitchen!). Your library may have it, but be sure it’s the most recent edition that was released this year. I am at my lowest weight that I can remember…ever. Although I must also say that I am breastfeeding, and that really helps with the calorie burn. ;) That being said, I’m at a lower weight now while nursing my third than I ever was while nursing my older two children. Do you shop at Whole Foods? If so, you may have noticed the ANDI scores around the store. Dr. Fuhrman developed that system. In a nutshell (ha, no pun intended!) you want to get the most nutrient bang for your calorie buck. So a food like spinach, has lots and lots of nutrients, but very few calories. The book goes into a lot of detail about the whole thing. And regarding the sugar, and sweets, and junk food, I’ve got three words: Don’t buy it. Just stop putting it in your cart, stop paying for it, stop bringing it home. If it’s not there, you won’t eat it. Let me know if you want to discuss it more. Jillian is my fitness hero and Dr. Fuhrman his my nutrition hero. I have sent Jillian many tweets telling her that have him as a guest on the podcast. :)

7. Jennifer
    June 30, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I am so happy to have this challenge at this time! I need to get back on track as well.

8. Maria
    July 1, 2011 at 3:32 am

I’m struggling to get my eating under control too! I’ve recently done my first half-marathon and I have a full Marathon in October. I gained 10lbs in the 3 months I trained for the Half due to the increase in appetite plus some comfort eating when injured. My portion sizes seemed to double! I suffer from a knee injury and lower back pain so the extra weight doesn’t help that. My trigger foods are pasta, bread and cookies….once I start, I can’t stop! I’m just going to avoid these. I still need carbs for running so it’s brown rice, potatoes and plenty of fruit & veg for me now with lean protein and a bit of dairy as I don’t tend to overeat these things. Good Luck everyone!

9. July 1, 2011 at 8:21 am

Maybe you could try making a list of all the reasons why you want to eat right, all the benefits of doing so? Feeling better, being more healthy etc. And then looking at it when you’re tempted to make bad choices.

Good luck!

10. July 1, 2011 at 8:40 am

I need to get back on track too. especially with all the picnics coming up.

11. annie
    July 1, 2011 at 9:41 am

Another person who could have written the same exact thing. It’s embarrassing to me that I have no control over that aspect of my life. It seems so easy, but it’s a real conscious effort for me.

I’ve started doing WW online and I’ve lost 6 pounds since May. My new goal is to lose 10 pounds between July 4th and Labor Day. I’m hoping with a definite goal that I will work towards it just like I’ve worked towards my fitness goals.

Good luck to you!

NCarolinaAnnie on Twitter.

12. Nolly
    August 5, 2011 at 3:56 am

I find that if I beat myself up about going off-track, the situation just gets worse. Just get up and keep moving forward.
    If you keep thinking about it so much, you’ll end up obsessed and depressed.
    Forgive yourself :)