Kristen’s post half marathon report

If you’re wondering where both Bill and I have been these last couple of months, we’ve been rigorously training for our upcoming marathon and just completed half marathon, respectively. It’s amazing how much time (and energy) is involved in training for these types of races, but it definitely does pay off. And I attribute much of that to working with a running coach.

A couple of months ago, I wrote about hiring a running coach to assist me in my training and I think it might have been the smartest thing I’ve ever done. Even though I had run two half marathons before, I still had lots of questions – fueling before and after a race, how to work on endurance and speed – the list goes on. And instead of having to Google everything to get information from questionable sources, I could just email one trusted one.

As a post partum breastfeeding mom, it was really important that I kept my milk supply up and didn’t over do it. No one really has time for injuries, but chasing after four kids with an injury was not an option. And I wanted to be sure that my training wasn’t going to interfere with my ability to feed my baby.

I have to say that my training and half marathon results were a complete success. After two weeks in, I realized that Weight Watchers wasn’t going to be feasible given my training schedule, so I stopped. I also started running at night on my treadmill when my kids were all sleeping thanks to my trusty iPhone baby monitor. And it turns out that I’m very easily entertained by trashy television.

I finished the Georgia Publix half marathon in 2:26:31 (11:10 pace).

My PR is still the Disney Princess Half Marathon, which I’d love to beat at some point.

For now, I’ve decided to continue working with @mcmmama to help increase my speed back to where it was right when I got pregnant (solid 10 minute miles – faster with shorter distances) – maybe even faster. I also need to work on pacing myself outside; I’m so used to being on a treadmill that I tend to run slower outside. I suppose a Garmin is in my future.

So what are your fitness goals for the spring? Do share! We’ll be back with more updates (Bill’s marathon is this weekend!) Also, we’re very active on Twitter – so please join us there.

7 comments for “Kristen’s post half marathon report

1. March 21, 2011 at 8:50 am

Way to go Kristen!!!
    My goal – any form of regular exercise. 44th birthday on Saturday and new all time high weight on the scale this morning. My son foiled my plans to buy new running shoes for my birthday this weekend, but that will happen this week. Went to group cycling at the Y on Sat, and it felt good, though my goal was just to survive the class. :-)

2. Dawn
    March 21, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Congratulations!!! I’m happy to see you guys are coming back too! I was working on running my first 5k in April, but I have suffered a bad sprain that has knocked me out for the last 3 weeks and counting. I am hoping to recover soon and am under the care of an orthopedist so hopefully I can lace up my shoes again soon and also get back to my dance classes!

3. March 21, 2011 at 5:24 pm

congratulations, Kristen!!!!
    you were one of my running buds on my mind yesterday when I lying in bed coughing up what had to be gallons of phlegm. I was supposed to be running a half mary that day too and even with my own best half mary time your result yesterday only further proves the fact that the only time I can (barely) run faster than you is when you are nearly 8 months pregnant.
    I can’t wait for you to beat your Disney Princess time which I am certain that you will.
    Hugs!

4. Liz
    March 21, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Congrats Kristen! I’ve been toying with the idea of running a half-marathon this year.

But for now, I’m focusing on completing P90X. After doing the 30 Day Shred, I needed something to ramp me out of my rut. I’m on Day 17 and so far, so good (and by good I mean “oh dear god, how am I going to survive 73 more days of this?!)

5. March 21, 2011 at 7:01 pm

You did great!! I’m so proud of you!

And now we’ll get you ready to rock the 10k this spring…

6. March 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Yay Kristen!! Great work!

My goal is to run my first half in May. I’ve been slacking on the training as of late because I am so busy with work, but I’ve got myself up to about 10 miles so far. So close! I’m pretty sure I’m not training properly as there’s been little influence on fueling while running and speed training, but I’m getting there.

This spring / summer I will be swimming and running still… working away. :)

7. March 22, 2011 at 9:18 am

Thanks so much, everyone! Sam – have you thought of hiring a running coach? Erika really helped me (and still is) and the cost was less than I paid for my running shoes. Granted, she kindly offered me a discount for sharing my experiences here at The Shredheads, but still, it might be worth it for you to have a great first time half.

I couldn’t recommend her more highly!