Get Ready to be Ripped in 30

As you have hopefully heard, now that Kristen’s and my races are done, we’re doing another challenge – hooray!  In April, we’ll be doing Jillian Michaels’ newest DVD, Ripped in 30.  It came about because of a conversation I had with @dapbim about getting back to strength training.  She said she was going to do Ripped in 30 straight through, and I thought that sounded like a great challenge!  You’ll be hearing a lot more from her, as well as from Kristen and me, throughout the month, but we want to get you all ready for the challenge now.

Much like 30 Day Shred, it’s about the basics.  Here’s what you’ll want to get going:

Ripped in 30
Obviously, you need the DVD.  You can get it from our Amazon affiliate here, or look at your local stores like Target.

Hand weights
Jillian is back to the basics with this DVD…just a simple pair of dumbbells.  I know you’re going to ask “how heavy” and I’d recommend starting with 3-pound weights.  If you’re more advanced, you can go up to 5-pound or greater weights.  If you’re doing 30 Day Shred, you can use the same weights.  Jillian has a multi-weight set (Jillian Michaels Ultimate Dumbbell Power Set) that comes with 3-, 5-, and 8-pound weights…all for about $30.  That’s CHEAP, people!

Shoes
You’re going to be using weights and moving your feet, so you want good support and protection.  What type of shoes is up to you – if you have questions about what you need, I’d talk to someone in a shoe store to make sure you get the right fit.

Yoga mat
A good yoga mat can help with both adding padding during some of the exercises and adding traction during plank moves.  I actually don’t use my yoga mat because I work out in our carpeted bedroom, but if you prefer a mat, go for it!

One other thing that you should do – even though it has nothing to do with actually DOING the workout – take pictures and measurements before you begin.

I know, I know.  Trust me, I’m not too keen on the whole before picture thing either.  Weirdly enough, I’ve flabbed up during marathon training and am not particularly happy about showing off my backwards results from the last time I posted pictures.  But it is TOTALLY worth it when you compare the before pictures with the after that you’ll be taking.  The same thing goes for measurements.  Measure your hips, waist, arms, and thighs.  Write them down and compare with your after results.

And if you’d like to share any of your results, we’ll be getting active with our Flickr Group again.  We’ll be posting pictures there (it helps keep me honest).  Feel free to post pictures of your workout area, before pictures, after pictures, or whatever else you’d like other Shredheads to see!

Are you ready for this?  ARE YOU READY?  Jillian is watching us.

34 comments for “Get Ready to be Ripped in 30

1. LauraK
    March 29, 2011 at 5:05 am

I’m in (although have a feeling that level 3 may just do me in!). I bought the dvd from Amazon.com as its not released yet in the UK.

2. Hellcat13
    March 29, 2011 at 8:20 am

Oh, crap. But this is just the kick in the butt I need. It’s perfect timing, too, as my winter hockey season is coming to an end and it’s a full month before I’m back on the ice – I’m losing 2-3 cardio sessions a week in April. Sign me up.

3. March 29, 2011 at 8:23 am

I just started Ripped also. I’m not doing the levels in 4 weeks though. I started with level 2 of Ripped, rotating that with level 1 of 6 week. I got done with that 2 week rotation, and starting this week I’m doing level 3 of Ripped, rotating with level 2 of 6 week. =)

4. March 29, 2011 at 9:27 am

At least if we’re going to die, we’ll die together, right? :) I’m SO looking forward to finally getting back into a normal workout routine!

5. Kelly
    March 29, 2011 at 9:29 am

I’m In!

6. March 29, 2011 at 9:59 am

I’m in – ordering the DVD now!

7. March 29, 2011 at 10:28 am

I’m totally in! Although I’m enjoying the (pilates/yoga) classes I’m taking right now, I think throwing some Jillian-style workout into the mix will do my body good.

8. Cloverjenn
    March 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

I’m in. We’re home from Mexico on the 3rd, so I’ll be behind but I know I’ll need it!

9. Kathie Dapbim
    March 29, 2011 at 1:05 pm

Wow, am glad to hear that so many other people are going to be suffering along with me!!

10. Hellcat13
    March 29, 2011 at 2:18 pm

@elsewise just picked up the DVD at Walmart (since she has the day off and I DON’T, so she is in too ;)

11. March 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Alright, DVD ordered. Ready for Jillian to kick my postpartum ass into shape. :-)

12. March 29, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I’m in. I’m always in. now gotta go get the dvd.

13. F.A. Smith
    March 29, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I’m IN !! Hoping that it will be easier knowing so many are doing it too !! Let’s Go !!

14. Rachel
    March 29, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I’m in. Gotta get my ass in shape for graduation in May!!

15. Amy
    March 30, 2011 at 1:40 am

I’m in! Bought the DVD tonight and I’m excited to get started! Also: nervous. We shall see.

Are you all doing 5-6 days a week? Do you have the same days off? Thinking about how to schedule my next 30 days.

16. elsewise
    March 30, 2011 at 8:45 am

I’m in possession of the dvd, and I’m motivated as all hell, but I have no idea how often I’m going to be able to fit it into my already packed workout schedule (spinning, running, strength/toning class, and soon to be kickboxing too). I’m aiming for twice a week at a minimum, with more depending on the strenuousness of my regular classes (and the soreness of my entire body).

17. Hellcat13
    March 30, 2011 at 9:12 am

So I gave this a test run last night. Random thoughts:

Jillian really tries to lull you into thinking it’s the Shred in the warm up…”hey, arm circles! I can do arm circles!” and then, once the real workout begins – sweet Murphy. I used the pause button A LOT. I admittedly haven’t shredded in a very long time, though, so if you’ve been keeping it up you’ll probably do pretty well with L1.

Jillian seems to explain form a little bit more in RI30, at least for level 1. That was appreciated.

Pushups are really hard when there is a cat circling about underneath your torso.

Have multiple weights around. I found my 2.5lb weights just right for some of the lateral raises, but needed my 5lb weights for other exercises. I’d actually like a heavier set for a couple of them, too.

The core exercise where you are supposed to balance on your back and hover your arms and legs two inches off the ground? My legs were two feet in the air, essentially in a V-sit. That one is freaking HARD, and I take pilates twice a week. Hurts my back.

I am 33, haven’t had kids, and boy…I had to be careful with some of the bouncy exercises. Ladies, empty your bladder. Just sayin’.

Overall, a really enjoyable follow up to the Shred. I nearly died.

18. Laurie
    March 30, 2011 at 9:56 am

Amazon delivers my copy today. Now if my three year-old would let me get a full night’s sleep I might be ready for this.

19. Angelface85
    March 30, 2011 at 11:56 am

I’m so excited to see this! I’ve been following the shredhead journey in silence, doing the 30 day shred and achieving great results. I lost about 15ibs, most of which I gained while in college. I fell off the wagon and gained some weight back so now i still have about 30 pounds to reach my goal weight. I plan to implement other jillian dvds, along with my ripped in 30 dvd to build a workout system of sorts. I love this site and everybody’s so inspiring. Good luck. Kiss a*s fellow shredheads  – follow me on twitter @angelface85

20. Hellcat13
    March 30, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Fourth comment on this thread, I know, but I thought you guys needed to know that my entire body is seizing up in one big rigid pile o’ stiffness.

You’re gonna love it :)

21. BubblyBrunette
    April 1, 2011 at 9:50 am

I just stumbled across your page while trying to figure out what size weights to use for the 30 Day Shred. I’m going to follow you guys here as it was my goal to begin the 30 Day Shred on 4/1 and get through all levels. I last did this in Nov. and got to level 2 but never level 3. For the past two weeks I’ve been doing the No Trouble Zones DVD and used 3 lbs. weights as she mentioned it but I think I can probably stick with 5 lbs. for the shred as I did before.

I’m looking forward to following along with you guys and love the April Fools Pic (0;

22. April 3, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I’ve got the 30 Day Shred DVD so I’m going to use it instead of buying the new one, but I’m in for the April challenge. My “before” pics have been taken and I’m going to *try* and get up in the AM and do it. I haven’t been successful getting up before 6am but I think I can commit to this for a month.

Thanks Bill and Kristen! Let’s go team!

23. dmarie
    April 3, 2011 at 6:55 pm

I did this 2 times last week as I trial and was sooo sore, sweat dripping, so I know it’s a great workout. Have never been in shape but am committed for a month to see the results. Excited we can all be in this together. Starting at 175lbs. Goal 145.

24. April 4, 2011 at 9:25 pm

i’m in. i need to add strength training to my running routine, so this is the kick in the butt.

25. Trixy
    April 6, 2011 at 9:32 am

I am in, but a weekend foot injury has set me back….hoping to start this weekend. Will post on flickr! Great job everyone!!

26. dmarie
    April 9, 2011 at 10:47 am

First weigh in on Monday 4/11 & moving up to Level 2! Level 1 almost killed me but I kept going. I hate Running Man & modified it, sorry Jillian but I almost passed out! JK I’m not as sore & feel stronger. Tracking my eating too. I can tell a difference. Let’s all check in weekly to see how it’s going. Keep up the hard work, I’m believing it will pay off!

27. MamaKat
    April 11, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Starting the plan today. I had hoped I’d be back in a bikini by now after having my baby…but, yeah…that kind of didn’t happen. I refuse to be the mommy hiding in shorts and a tee by the pool while daddy’s in the water with the kids! Good luck to everyone starting! Just need to take the pics and measurements. Not looking forward to that! :)

28. dmarie
    April 18, 2011 at 10:56 am

Just finished Level 2 Sat. Weighed in today & lost 3.5 lbs! It\’s working! So total loss in 2 weeks is 5.5 lbs. Starting Level 3 today. Was getting worried thinking I wouldn\’t loose lbs. cause of muscle gain but that\’s not the case which highly motivates me even more! I put the scale away for a week cause I was getting to obsessed whether it went up or down, glad I did. Not taking measurements until 30 days is over. I also made my facial appt. which is my reward for doing Ripped in 30, so I will do it. Anyway hope this encourages someone! Keep it up & thanks Gillian for kicking my ____!

29. Shredder
    April 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I am on Day 27 of the 30 DS. Loving it! Feel like I am so much more fit from where I started. I am trying to decide whether to do Ripped in 30 next or Jillian’s 30 Day Slimdown. Any suggestions? I am looking to lose some additional weight before TTC.

30. schwecar
    May 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Just started Ripped in 30 days yesterday. I’m going to do level 1 and 2 for the first week…then go from there.
    Can’t wait to see results.

31. dmarie
    May 6, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Hi,
    I finished the Ripped in 30 last week! So thrilled I stuck with it! I surprised myself when I could do week 4. Overall I lost 6.5″ & 5.5lbs. I feel so much stronger & my endurance is higher. I am going to continue cardio & strength training by doing Jillian’s Yoga Meltdown. I did it!!!! Keep up the hard work everyone, it is worth it!

32. Becca
    May 11, 2011 at 4:10 pm

Just sent my husband to go get after hearing a great review from my stylist!! Hope it tones me up

33. Dawn
    November 19, 2011 at 10:29 am

I’m just curious about how many days per week a beginner should use the ripped in 30 days dvd. I’m on level one. Any advice would be greatly aprecated. Thanks!

• November 20, 2011 at 7:30 am

I thought Jillian said during the DVD (or on the DVD box?)… I want to say 5, but I can’t remember for sure. Anyone?