Why am I not losing weight on the 30 Day Shred?

I suppose I should put some sort of disclaimer by results, because I realize that losing 12lbs in one month doing only 20 minutes of exercise and adapting my diet minimally is not typical. I'm a post-partum mom of three, with an 8 month old who still almost exclusively breastfeeds, and a husband who is a way a lot.

I suppose that might mean that I'm stuffing my face constantly and drinking. And honestly, it used to.

But I replaced a lot of my bad pregnancy eating habits (because let's face it, when you're pregnant and/or breastfeeding for almost 5 years straight, you get into this "I can eat whatever I want" mode) with a decent diet, exercise, and a whole lot of running after the kids.

If you've been doing the 30 Day Shred on a consistent basis, you really should still see some pretty dramatic results, particularly if you were leading a sedentary lifestyle (like me) prior to giving it a whirl.

So, if you're not, here are my suggestions on how to get the most out of your 30 Day Shred experience.

Eat less fatty foods

Sounds pretty simple, right? Just cut down on the fat intake. Carmen Stacier dropped a pajillionty pounds combining her ELFF diet and regular exercise, and she continues to document her experience at The ELFF Diet blog.

Lose the Condiments

When I was trying to drop 20lbs in college, I decided that losing all condiments might be an easy way to cut down caloric intake. I also decided not to eat the food either, which is a terrible idea, but the condiments thing – it's like magic. You'd be surprised how many fewer calories you'll take in by losing them mayo, ketchup, and dipping sauces. Don't even get me started on dipping sauces.

If you really like condiments, you can replace them with healthier spreads – Guacamole (which is high in fat, but they are good fats and high in protein) and Hummus (still a bit on the fatty side, but beans – good for you!). My feeling is use the calories you wasted on crap to load up on better stuff.

Only Drink Water

I really haven't had anything but water and a few sips of juice with alcoholic drinks since March and I feel much better for it. And I'm pretty sure I dropped a good solid five pounds by getting rid of my juice addiction. Water is way cheaper than anything else you're going to drink and it's way better for you.

Also, if you're feeling hungry, slug a glass of water because you might actually just be a little dehydrated and not necessarily in need of that plate of macaroni and cheese.

Stop Drinking Alcohol

I know this is going to be a less popular option, and even I have not stopped drinking alcohol, but I do find I'm drinking way less. Okay, so that makes it sound like I was a lush, which I wasn't, but I might have maybe 1-2 drinks a week. Alcohol has a lot of calories, yes, even those workout beers.

But even if you have just one drink, it's way better than downing a bottle. You'll find that you won't get as good a workout in the morning because you're tired.

Join Weight Watchers

Several of our Shredheads, including Christina from Hot by BlogHer and my Shredheads Co-Contributor Bill Gookin do Weight Watchers. It's a program that puts you in control of your own eating choices, and they even have a program for breastfeeders.

Modify the 30 Day Shred

The workout itself should not be easy. You should feel like you are near death by the end. If you are not, then you need to do make some adaptations to your workout so that you are getting the maximum out of the 20 minutes. Bill has some great 30 Day Shred modifications that might work well for you.

The 30 Day Shred Might Not Be Enough

Many of our Shredheads found that 20 minutes was not enough. I under the firm belief that if you make some dietary changes, you will see good results, but if you're not able or willing, then you might need to add more cardio and strength training to your daily regimen.

What have you found makes the Shred more challenging for you? Any other simple changes to help maximize your exercise program?

10 comments for “Why am I not losing weight on the 30 Day Shred?

1. June 15, 2009 at 9:43 am

Amen to the water, although I’m a Diet Mountain Dew maniac too. But I drink lots and LOTS of water. All day long, because when I get dehydrated I eat junk.
    Also, give it some time. Lots of people gain either their first or second week on Shred (I did, and my wife just did too). That’s incredibly frustrating, but just know that it’ll come off if you stick with it.

2. June 15, 2009 at 9:46 am

Also, I’ve been reminded (ever so gently by my doctor friends) that I am also at that certain age where losing weight becomes even more difficult. Metabolism is whacked and hormones are, well, as hormones does. However, raising two teens and two tweens, the one thing I DO have in my favor is an endless well of patience and am tapping that sucker for ALL it’s worth.
    Thanks for the pep talk!

3. June 15, 2009 at 11:55 am

I thought you lost all 20 pounds in one month on the Shred. Glad to know that’s not the case!
    Myself, I’m about six and a half pounds down after two and a half weeks; not bad, but I know I could better.

4. June 15, 2009 at 1:38 pm

Those are all great tips. I’ve had to learn to keep water with me nearly all the time, or I’ll always reach for a diet soda.
    I’ll also add that the scale should not be the only measure of success. I’ve lost relatively little weight (15 pounds in 3.5 months) but I’m still losing inches. Adding muscle and losing fat sometimes results in no loss in weight or even a gain. But it looks way better. My jeans fit better than they have in a long time!

5. Acp
    June 15, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Well…I do follow a healthy diet (and for me weight loss is like 99% diet), and especially followed ideas like the tips mentioned here. However I lost nothing – no weight, no inches – with the shred.
    Don’t get me wrong, I love and support the workout because it made me feel great. But sadly it hasn’t effected my weight in the slightest.

6. MU
    June 15, 2009 at 2:40 pm

Sorry to hear that Acp – I will say you might be someone who needs to do more – either adapting within the workout or other cardio.

7. June 15, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I also want to point out that how much you lose depends on how much you NEED to lose. Everything else being equal, the more you have to lose, the faster it typically comes off. As you get closer to goal, your body hangs on to it and you have to work harder.
    Stupid body. :)

8. June 15, 2009 at 8:42 pm

I didn’t lose too much with the Shred at first, but I know that some would say I didn’t really *need* to lose weight in the first place. But, I knew that 10 pounds would remove that tire around my belly, so that was my goal. I found that I needed a little “push” to make the Shred more effective, so I’d do another 15 minutes on the exercise bike or an additional abs video after the Shred. That was when I started to really see a difference: just 15 minutes of additional exercise! That wasn’t too bad at all.

9. tiffanyjewellery
    July 18, 2010 at 8:43 pm

hermes Accoutrements and hermes belt handbags, an ultimate appearance accent that holds appropriate abode in affection of every appearance enthusiast. hermes wallet can be assume to absolutely define the being elitism and amusing status.
    Moreover, the lida is loaded with antioxidants. Antioxidants are known for their ability to detoxify your body and prevent certain types of cancer diseases. Natural sources of lida daidaihua are generally better than those manufactured artificially. When daidaihua is taken excessively, the large amounts of antioxidants have no harmful side effects. Other antioxidant supplements produce unwanted side effects. Furthermore, the excess antioxidants and vitamins from natural sources, such lida slimming , are expelled by the liver. If you cannot find slimming capsule for your healthy undertaking, you may find them in stores as your daily supplements. slimming capsules have been manufactured to make consumption easier.
    Ladies, when you want the best of the Chanel bags world, there’s nothing more perfect than a Chanel bag . If you are truly looking to buy Chanel Wallet bag, you won’t believe how much selection there is online – you’ll be drooling over the wide variety of styles and colors of” Chanel handbags .
    Tiffany jewellery is women’s best friend. Tiffany rings is surely a long lasting gift to your loved silver rings and enhances ones beauty with Tiffany earrings attention getting charm.

10. Pingback: nicad